What is National Virtual Vacation Day?
The registrar of National Day Calendar has officially designated March 30 of each year as National Virtual Vacation Day. Established by Terrance Talks Travel in 2016, Virtual Vacation Day is a fun way to remind folks they don’t have to wait for “retirement” or “someday” to achieve their dream vacations. A virtual vacation means that you don’t have to pack or take time off of work or spend any money! You don’t have to worry about getting seasick or stranded in an airport! Climb Mt. Everest, trek through the Amazonian Rainforest, come face to face with a 500-pound gorilla during a safari, take an airboat ride through the Florida Everglades, kayak Grand Teton’s Colter Bay, walk along the Champs Elysees, and much more. Dare to travel anywhere and do anything! The sky is the limit or is it? Virtual space vacations are possible too! Your imagination is the only limit if you have the right equipment. You can “travel” the world, enjoying all kinds of virtual adventures from the comfort of your home. One of the most exciting new developments in virtual travel is the VR (virtual reality) headset, including the Samsung Gear VR Headset, Oculus Rift, and HTC Vive.
Keep reading to learn how to win a FREE VR headset & more great travel prizes!
But there are plenty of other opportunities for virtual travel that you can take advantage of right now without buying any VR equipment, ranging from virtual tours to webcams. The possibilities are endless, such as exploring New York’s Times Square or enjoying a gondola ride in Venice:
A cool new VR tool I like is the Timelooper app (free at Google Play & iTunes) It is a destination-based time travel app, so instead of visiting the Tower of London in 2016, Timelooper allows you to visit it in 1255. Timelooper offers many VR time travel possibilities. Thomas Cook travel company features virtual travel booths at some of their stores and Marriott currently has two virtual travel booths, Teleporters, that are on a traveling exhibit across the U.S. Why? Enjoying a virtual swim with dolphins or a virtual Alaskan cruise makes participants want to do it for real. This is another benefit of a virtual vacation. You can find out if you want to step up from a virtual vacation to the real deal.
How Do I Win National Virtual Vacation Day Prizes?
If you are signed up for Terrance Talks Travel, you are already a winner. Congratulations! Additional prizes will be awarded accordingly:
Two Ways to Win – Five Great Prizes!
1. Sign up for TERRANCE TALKS TRAVEL weekly newsletter if you aren’t already a subscriber. In addition to getting great TRIP PICKS and travel tips, everyone on the mailing list (as of 11:59 pm on 3/30) will win CHEAP TRAVEL SERIES BOX SET (4 books in 1!) After reading these books, you will always pay the cheapest fare on all travel. I reveal resources and strategies the airline, cruise lines, and tour operators definitely do NOT want you to know about. Did you know that using popular sites that claim to have the lowest fares, such as Expedia and Orbitz, almost never have the lowest fares? The same is true with many aggregators. Using a consolidator is a much better option and I have included a great list of reputable ones. Learn how to get upgraded for cheap or FREE! Find out how to travel free or get paid to travel, discover amazing apps…and so much more!
2. Use the comment box at the bottom of this page to share your virtual vacation plans. Remember that the only limitation is your own imagination! With a virtual vacation, any adventure is possible. Everyone who comments gets entered in the contest. So if you are a newsletter subscriber, you get a BONUS entry, thereby increasing your chances of winning!
Plus, all subscribers are automatically entered in a random drawing to WIN the Grand Prize: Premium 3D Virtual Reality Goggles with Bnext VR Viewer Adjustable Glasses for iPhone & Android (Great for 360 Videos & Games). First Prize: Kindle Fire Tablet. Load this device with books, movies, games, travel apps, music, and tv shows to be ready for any trip. Second Prize is the CHEAP TRAVEL SERIES BOX SET (All subscribers win this prize and one non-subscriber will be selected to win this prize, as well) . Third Prize is a set of TERRANCE TALKS TRAVEL Reports.
The drawing will be held on 3/31 and the winners will be notified by email by 4/14.
For those planning on going on a ‘real’ vacation this year, I have included some helpful resources (see below). Plus, there are hundreds more on www.terrancetalkstravel.com, including dozens of DOWNLOADABLE TRAVEL REPORTS:
- Accommodations for the Adventurous
- Securing Your Home For Vacation
- Ten Reasons You’re Stupid If You Don’t Buy Travel Insurance
- The Five Most Visited Tourist Attractions in America
- Travel Ailment #1 & How to Avoid It
- Pack Light (and Right!) with These Packing Tips
- Best Places in the U.S. to Spend Autumn & See Fall Colors
- Twenty Terrific Travel Tips
- Wonders of the World: Places Travelers Need to See
- World’s Weirdest Museums
- Planning a Disney Vacation
- Five Ways to Rock Your Vacation Video
- Terrance Talks Travel Guidebooks
- TRAVEL REPORTS
- TEN TRAVEL RESOURCES YOU ARE MISSING OUT ON!
- Sign Up For This Service and Get FREE Travel
- Worldwide Tipping Guide
- AAA Travel Planning
- TSA Carry On Luggage: Permitted & Prohibited
- Top Travel Planning Sites
- My Five Favorite Flying Tips
- Best Adventure Cruise
- Trip Advisor
- My Fifteen Favorite Travel Apps
- How To Get a U.S. Passport
- My Five Favorite Cheap Hotel Hacks
- Terrance Talks Travel: Über Adventures Show
- 50 Summer Vacation Hacks
- List of U.S. Beach Resorts
- Travel Shows on TV
- Travel Alerts & Warnings
- You Tube Travel Channel
- List of U.S. Travel & Tourism Offices
- Holiday Travel Hacks
- What You Need to Know Before You Go to Disney
- Top Travel Resource: Kayak
- Camping USA
Just for fun…
Vacations are good for you, but apparently the U.S. government did not get the memo. The United States is the only developed country in the world without a single legally required paid vacation day. The average number of vacation days given by employers who do give them is ten, which is is much lower than Europe. Some European countries are required to give up to thirty vacation days annually. Austria has a legal minimum of twenty-two vacation days and thirteen holidays.
Studies show that travel can…
- Improve your problem-solving skills.
- Lower your risk of heart disease.
- Help those suffering from depression.
- Promote overall brain health and improve relationships.
- Money spent on travel makes you happier than money spent on material goods.
Contest Terms and Conditions The prize(s) are not redeemable for cash or transferable. If there is any issue (such as a manufacturer's defect or shipping damage) with the VR headset or Kindle Fire, it is not the responsibility of TERRANCE TALKS TRAVEL. It is up to the prize recipient to resolve the matter with Amazon. If the specified prize is unavailable due to unforeseen circumstances, another prize of similar or equal value may be substituted. Prizewinner(s) will be determined by random drawing (unless otherwise specified). Prizewinner(s) will be notified by email. If an email is not included in the entry, the entrant will be disqualified. This includes virtual vacation comments (emails will not be shared publicly but must be included when posting the comment so that the administrator can add entry to the contest). Multiple entries are not acceptable (unless otherwise specified). Entries that do not adhere to the terms of the contest will be disqualified. All prizes will be shipped by April 30 so long as a valid shipping address was provided by the winner upon notification of winning said prize. If a response has not been received to the winning notification by 4/24, another winner will be selected. Shipping issues must be resolved through Amazon, not TERRANCE TALKS TRAVEL.