Well, it’s that time of year again. Spring has sprung and most of us are ready to get out there and enjoy the change of weather. Travel predictions by experts, including AAA, pick these spots as most popular:
1. Myrtle Beach, South Carolina offers miles of beautiful beaches and all the attractions and activities you can dream of, from the Little River Blue Crab Festival (May 16 & 17, www.bluecrabfestival.org) to Brookgreen Gardens, which includes a 9,000-acre garden and zoo and hundreds of world class sculptures. www.brookgreen.org.
2. Branson, Missouri has World-Fest from April 9 – May 3, which includes acrobats, Celtic Irish dancers, fire dancers, and more. www.silverdollarcity.com. They have many year-round activities, such as fishing, golfing, and shows headlined by top performers.
3. San Diego, Californa comes alive on May 9 with Ocean Beach Kite Festival (www.oceanbeachkiwanis.org). Even if you don’t have a kite, you will still want to see this as there are spectacular kites in this festival, ranging from teddy bears to octopuses. There is also a kite-making workshop for all ages and lots of other fun stuff to see and do.
4. Las Vegas, Nevada is a year round destination with shows and festivals going on all the time. Each spring the city hosts the City of Lights Jazz and R&B Festival and there are always world class acts in the casinos and at the Clark County Government Amphitheater, as well as free nightly shows in front of some casinos, such as Treasure Island. www.yourjazz.com and www.lasvegastourism.com.
5. Like Vegas, Orlando, Florida is a year round destination with shows and festivals ongoing. They host the Florida Film Festival in April and lots of other great events can be discovered at www.visitorlando.com.
Other popular spring destinations include Savannah, GA; Washington, DC; Austin, TX; Charleston, SC; and Bend, Oregon, which typically has snow until the first of June at Cascade Mountain and lots of folks descend on Bend in May for Central Oregon Beer Week, www.centraloregonbeerweek.com.