We’re just a few hours away from knowing if the Scottish people have voted “yes” or “no” to a free Scotland. It was 1707 that the Act of Union was signed, which united England and Scotland as Great Britain. Now many believe is the time that Scotland should end this union. Regardless of how the vote goes, I thought it might be fun to show some Scottish trivia:
1. There are 790 islands in Scotland.
2. One-third of the land area in the U.K. belongs to Scotland.
3. 8% of the U.K. resides in Scotland.
4. 8% of the GDP (gross domestic product) of the U.K. comes from Scotland.
5. 40 bottles of Scottish whiskey were shipped overseas every second in 2013, accounting for 25% of all British food and drink exports.