Are you psyched for a new season?
In honor of its 4th season, I thought I’d share some fun facts with other fanatical fans…
Here are five things I bet you don’t know about Downton Abbey and Highclere Castle (for you less rabid fans who might not know–this is where the show is filmed):
1. Highclere Castle is comprised of 6,000 acres. It is reportedly worth $240 million, although I’m sure the Carnarvon family will never sell it since it has been in their family since 1679.
2. It is the highest ranked show in the history of PBS. Because of the popularity of the tv show, the castle receives up to 1,200 tourists each day whenever it is open to the public.
3. King Tut’s tomb was discovered by the fifth Earl of Carnarvon, so there are lots of replicas of artifacts that were found inside his tomb displayed throughout the castle.
4. The castle is reportedly haunted!
5. Downton merchandising brings in BIG bucks. Last year, sales of Downton memorabilia totaled $24 million worldwide. However, industry experts estimate global sales could reach $250 million this year. The biggest sales are anticipated to be in China and the U.S. The reason for the increase in sales is due to the enormous popularity of the show, as well as the ever expanding range of merchandise available to sale (such as beauty products “worn by Lady Mary”, wine, flowers, fabrics, DVDs, and tea).
*Information found in Parade magazine