Tipping is tricky. Do you still leave a good tip if the service was bad? Should it be 15% or more? Here’s what you need to know:
1. Tip calculations should be based on the pre-tax amount.
2. Give 15% in a modest restaurant.
3. Give 20% in an upscale restaurant.
4. Give extra if you feel you received special attention. Give less if you received inferior service but be sure the waiter or manager knows why.
5. Bartenders should get 15-20% of a bar bill or $1 per drink.
6. You are expected to tip the coat check attendant $1 for each coat.
7. You are expected to tip the valet $3 or a garage attendant $1.
8. You are expected to tip your driver and tour guide $3pp per day.
9. The tip is usually included in parties of six or more, on cruises, and throughout Europe. Check your bill.
10. Tipping is frowned upon in some parts of the world so make sure to ask your guide or do a little research before your trip.