Lodging is one of the biggest costs of vacations. Here’s a few ways to save money whether you’re booking moderate or deluxe lodging:
1. Call! You will often get a better rate dealing directly with the hotel than online. I’m talking about calling the property directly NOT the central reservations line.
2. Be flexible if possible. Changing your time one or two nights can make a big difference in the price, such as a Thursday instead of a Friday or on a non-holiday.
3. Follow the 14/3 rule. This means you reserve your room at least fourteen days in advance or less than three days ahead.
4. Hotel Tonight is a great app for scoring last minute deals. Also, www.airbnb.com is a handy resource.
5. Work it. If you’re a member of AAA or AARP or the military or are a senior or a part of a rewards program then be sure to take advantage of your membership. Or you may be entitled to a discount if you are a travel agent or blogger, student, teacher, firefighter, or government employee.