Read on to discover the five most popular travel trends for 2018–and most of them will surprise you!
- Cold is the new “Hot!” Tours and cruises to Alaska, Antarctica, and the Arctic will be hugely popular. Pack your parka and get ready for adventure!
- Africa will see a surge in travelers of all ages and types, especially to more remote regions, such as Botswana, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. Political stability and new safari camps have helped these lesser-known (but amazing) African destinations. Nothing beats an African safari!
- There will be an uptick in experiential travel, which means people are looking for more cultural immersion. Think traveler, not tourist. This means more interactive experiences and volunteering.
- Multi-generational family trips will increase and include more soft adventures across America and around the world.
- Speaking of around the world, here’s a list of the places expected to be the most popular this year:
U.S.: New York; Maui; Miami; Las Vegas; and Napa Valley.
Overseas: Croatia; Iceland; Portugal; Japan; and Marrakesh, Morocco.
Cruises: European Rivers, Antarctica, Alaska, Arctic, and Mediterranean.
Missing the Mark: I think Cuba will be less popular than predicted by many travel experts due to it being so expensive and travel restrictions. And I think Great Britain will be more popular than predicted due to “royal fever” (Dutchess Kate is due in April and Prince Harry will marry in May) and the pound is down at least fifteen percent against most currency because of Brexit and I look for that to increase as we get closer to their EU withdrawl date.